Thursday 2 July 2009

Tomato Supports & Tomato Fruits!

Those of you that also follow the London Vegetable Garden on Twitter (click here) will remember that I've been seeking advice regarding my leaning tomato plants. After a wealth of suggestions, it turned out that one of my colleagues at work had some devices that served that very purpose, although none of us have any idea what they're called!

As you can see from the pictures above, these peculiar looking devices are designed to sit underneath a grow bag. Once you have placed them under the grow bag, the two prongs can be pushed together and the cane placed through the middle, like so:

Now in place, these supports have added so much strength to the canes, and thus, my tomato plants. This hot weather has seen them shoot up considerably, which has led them to start pulling the canes down with their weight. Luckily now they look a lot sturdier – as well as taking over the whole of London Vegetable Garden balcony!

The recent hot weather has also been responsible for an exciting discovery I made last night – the very first tomatoes are coming through!

Although small, the fruits are beginning to pop up all over the tomato plant trusses – as of five minutes ago, I can report that I have six tomatoes well on the way. I'm hoping that they grow quickly from green, berry-looking things to big juicy red tomatoes whilst this heat-wave lasts! Hopefully more news to come this week...

4 comments:

  1. Oh I've never seen these supports before, do you know where to source them.

    Congrates on your baby toms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kella,

    I haven't come across these supports before - I'll ask my boss where she found them and report back with news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found them by chance via a forum I frequent:-

    http://www.gardendirect.co.uk/grow-bag-cane-support-frame-p-2855

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails