Saturday 3 July 2010

Progress.

In regards to vegetable growing, the great outdoors is a hard mistress to please. The transition from balcony to allotment has undeniably been a difficult one; however the number of pitfalls, perils and pests has surpassed even my own expectations.

There's no doubt that much of this year's gardening has been a learning curve of huge magnitude; an education which has been supported by many of my new neighbours down at the allotments. Despite knowing that I am learning all the time however, the lack of actually vegetative progress has been a disappointment that's been well documented on the London Vegetable Garden blog.

Well, what a difference a few weeks make. My ongoing battles with pests have led me to attack everything from slugs to ants, when after discussions with fellow plot holders, I have managed to ascertain that pigeons are some of the worst offenders. A fortnight ago, my lettuces from Rocket Gardens looked like this:

However, Maddy (the lady whose plot I'm working on) very kindly assisted me and helped me to put some netting down over the baby plants. I was sceptical, partly as I was so disheartened, but took heed of her advice – after all, she's been gardening for years. Anyway, the netting really has worked! Slugs are still getting a couple of bites, but look at the difference the netting has made:



One of the greatest things I've learnt in recent weeks is to talk to allotment gardeners around you. They are all growing plants and vegetables in the same ecosystem, so it follows that they will all share the same problems that you are experiencing – and subsequently, have some successful solutions to share.

Anyway, the netting has been a huge success and even up at the allotment today, I noticed a few pigeons lurking around. Unfortunately, what they can't get at on my allotment, they'll find on someone else's, but hopefully my plants will now be able to re-establish themselves and everything will not be as lost as I thought it was this time a few weeks ago!

5 comments:

  1. Companion planting can help we planted garlic next to carrots to help stop carrot root fly and all dug carrots are good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fully satisfy with you.............very nice information about gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are currently putting up a two foot bunny fence along the rear wrought iron fence in an attempt to keep unwanted critters out of our yard. Also, I have ordered bird netting to put up over the veggies. We will put it up as soon as it gets here, hopefully before any animals come destroy our hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very happy to read your post. Thanks for your post.your Vegetable Garden Progress system is very lovely.I have a tomato garden so I shall follow your system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buy from our Vast range of glass Clear Tarpaulin. Our Clear Tarpaulins Are Fully Waterproof .These Tarpaulins are Made With High Quality of Material.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails