Thursday 31 December 2009

Review of 2009 part iii: Publicity and Community

Press

Although not quite Alan Titchmarsh, I've certainly had my fair share of the spotlight this year, with articles about the London Vegetable Garden cropping up in newspapers and websites. The aim has always been to promote urban gardening and encourage those with a lack of space, showing them that they need not be deterred! Click below to read any of the London Vegetable Garden articles.

Evening Standard Interview
Londonist Interview
London Lite
Landscape Juice
British Bird Lovers
Dobbies Gardening
The Times

Community

2009 may well be remembered for the advent of social media, with Twitter becoming ingrained in everyday life. With blogs, websites and social networks too, I've been lucky enough to meet a fantastic community of urban gardeners and like-minded people, all who have supported and helped me on this organic odyssey! I'd hate to miss anyone out – you've all been so helpful – but special thanks goes to the following:

Bob Purnell

Author of 'Crops in Pots' and a fascinating resource of useful advice. I was lucky enough to meet Bob back in the summer and had an insightful conversation with him covering so much! Special thanks to Bob for sharing his passion and helping me to feed mine!

www.bobpurnell.co.uk

Celia Brooks Brown

A talented chef, great food writer and a passionate urban gardener, Celia was kind enough to reference the London Vegetable Garden in her Times column and has also been a great source of advice and tips, sharing news and views from her allotment!

www.celiabrooksbrown.com
@celiabb

Andy Mogg a.k.a. Chilli Up North

Someone I now converse with a great deal on Twitter, Andy became known to me after following the London Vegetable Garden blog. He runs his own superb blog, Chilli Up North, where he chronicles his chilli growing and delicious home-made recipes. His advice has been invaluable over the past nine months, so I'd like to thank him publicly!

@chilliupnorth

Charles Olive a.k.a. Grumblemouse

A jack of all trades, Charles also made contact with me through Twitter and the London Vegetable Garden blog. Since then, we've shared an infectious enthusiasm of urban gardening, perused Columbia Road flower market together and even had a lily-growing competition. A firm friend and a fantastic resource with which to share success stories (and failures), Charles' 'Grumble Garden' is a project and passion close to my own.

@grumblemouse

Kella

Again, one of the wonderful green-fingered people I've met through the blog, Kella's blog is a phenomenal source of advice tips and help, and documents the incredible things she grows in abundance in her garden! She's been kind enough to help me over the months with advice and questions – her experience has been invaluable, so thank you!

The London Gardeners' Network

If you would like to meet these people and share your own stories, the London Gardeners' Network is the place for you! Set up after the success of the London Vegetable Garden blog, it is home to over a hundred urban gardeners sharing tips, stories and photos, and is set for big and exciting things in 2010... Click here to visit!

Alternatively, if you're addicted to Twitter, why not follow the London Vegetable Garden there? Simply follow @londonveggarden for latest news, gardening tips and blog posts.

2 comments:

  1. Callum thanks for the shout out and mention, that was really nice of you. I'm glad I was able to help you out with your experiment. I look foward to this year's balconey endeavours of the London Vegetable Garden, I'm sure you'll have even more successes.

    PS. I have a Bloghop giveaway on at the present, why not take part? Who knows you might win a trinket for your girlfriend who puts up with your gardening exploits, I know my other half certainly puts up with mine :)
    Here is the link: http://kellascreativewishes.blogspot.com/2009/12/happy-new-year-2010-my-1st-blogshops.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I forgot to say, Wishing you a Happy and Prosperous New Year to you and yours for 2010.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails