Wednesday 8 April 2009

Fly me to the moon...


Whilst this rocket won’t ‘fly me to the moon’ (I couldn’t resist!) I am hoping that it will provide me with some salads that are ‘out of this world’. OK, OK, I’ll stop the awful puns, but I would like to introduce the second crop I’m attempting to nurture on my metropolitan mezzanine.

Earlier this week, I planted ‘Rocket Runaway’ (Eruca Sativa), the name hopefully indicating its fast-growing nature. I’ve sowed the rocket seeds in seed trays and I’m hoping that these will yield some nice baby leaves pretty quickly – the instructions on the packet certainly seem to suggest that frequent yields are possible.

As I’m gardening on a balcony rather than in the earth, I’m presuming that I’ll only be able to grow one batch per seed tray, so I’m keen to see how I get on with this first round. I’m hoping to harvest the leaves midway between baby and mature stage, but as the soil isn’t tremendously deep, I’m guessing that I’ll have to harvest these at baby leaf stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails