Wednesday 30 December 2009

A Christmas Carrot...


First off, sincere apologies for the lack of posts. What with the natural advancement of the winter season and increased work demands, giving due time and attention to the London Vegetable Garden blog has been a task harder than growing things in pots these bleak months!

There is not a lot happening on the London Vegetable Garden at the moment. I have had some spring onions sat in a pot for a few months now, but progress seems to be terribly slow, which I attribute to the lack of light and warmth. Similarly, I planted some more carrot seeds in September. I learnt from my carrot attempts of the spring / summer that I needed to plant these much more thinly, so proceeded to carefully sow a few in a large pot.

Well, I read recently that carrot leaves need plenty of sunlight and the past few weeks have been very sparse indeed. The carrot plants seem to have come to a stop, with some of them turning slightly yellow, which I would assume equates to a lack of sunlight. With this in mind (and attempting to yield one more flourish for the blog before we go into 2010) I pulled these up this morning.

As you can see, these dwarf carrots still remain very small (I have used my large hand for scale!), however the results are significantly improved. The carrots look a lot healthier than the previous batch and I am attributing this purely to the fact that they have had more room to grow and have not been overcrowded.


I have sampled them and the flavour is extremely intense! I believe that gardening is all about trial and error and building upon the knowledge you have gained. I propose that come spring, I plant carrot seeds thinly once more, but use a pot that is a lot deeper than the current ones. Hopefully this will encourage deeper root growth and swell the carrots more.


3 comments:

  1. For followers of the London Vegetable Garden who are not sure where to start - why not check out www.boxedgardens.co.uk. All you need to start your own balcony or window sill vegetable garden. Winter salads going strong and soon time to plant your grow your own potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Callum, great blog. started my own balcony garden last year and got quite disillusion as the rocket went straight up and then to seed and the lettuce/spinache seemed to suffer from the heat (south facing balcony). However im trying again this year with renewed enthusiasm.I was wondering if you ever did the costs spent/recouped exercise you mentioned at the start of your blog?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails